Monday, December 20, 2010




Gentle Mary
frightened by the Angel’s words
a teenage girl caught up
in the passion of the Most High
overshadowed.

Greetings favored one
The Lord is with you.


Questions flutter
in your heart like birds.
How could you bear
the life of God Himself
in your body?

And yet you said, “yes.
be it unto me
as you have said.”

Now He comes to us.
We each have
our own Annunciation.

The Spirit comes
and words are spoken
over us, not a question
but a powerful proclamation.
Life begins deep within.
We are born from above.

And so Paul could write
“My children, with whom
I am again in labor
until Christ is formed in you.”

So we abide in wonder
and in awe.
How can I bear
the life of Christ
in my body?

Greetings favored one
the Lord is with you.


by Charles Spoelstra

No comments: