Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Receiver


I need to listen and walk
and pray in the woods
because there my heart
is like a receiver
tuned in
to the heart of God.

All the computers and desks
and phones and walls of the office
transmit only interference,
pressure and guilt,
They hum their static
performance based mentality.
It is the sound of man’s shame
at his own futility.

But the trees of the forest,
growing without effort
in the radiant breeze
by God’s power alone infusing them,
each branch an antennae
tuned to the light,
each spreading leaf
a network of receiving fibres
each tendril and root
part of a vast web
anchoring the bole
to drink in life,

clarify

His signal to me
and I see
and I hear
I breathe
I am
I receive.

It is a journey with God
to step for a moment
out into what He has made
and with each step deeper
the Peace of God
beyond my comprehension
comes to settle me down.

Now I lay me down to sleep
Amidst the branches soft and deep
If I should dream before I wake
In a copse or in a dell
by sound of stream or some still pool
Over stony woodland glen
or beside a grassy fen
I know my Lord
my heart
will take
He always has
He always will.

No comments: